2018 Challenge Quilt Category: Crazy About Polka Dots!
We love polka dot fabrics! Entries must be constructed with a minimum of half the the overall design incorporating dotted fabric(s). Dots can be evenly spaced or not, large, small, or a mix of both, but we want to see dots...lots of them!
The style of this challenge is open—anything from traditional to modern. Entries can be pieced, appliquéd, or created using a combination of techniques. Quilts can also include fabric art and embellishments. Please note the size limits! The perimeter (total measurement of all sides added together) should measure 200 inches or less, with no side longer than 50 inches.
Critical Dates for Quilt Entries:
Click for more information
Prizes and Awards
$2,000 – Best of Show
$1,000 – Exemplary Hand Quilting
$1,000 – Exemplary Machine Quilting
$500 – 1st Place in Each Category
$200 – 2nd Place in Each Category
$100 – 3rd Place in Each Category
$100 – Exemplary Edge Finish
$100 – Exemplary Use of Color
$100 – Exemplary Use of Handwork
$100 – Viewer’s Choice
$100 – Mayor’s Choice
$100 – Commissioner’s Choice
$100 – Hoosier Award
Ribbon – Youth Quilter
Ribbon – Honorable Mention
Ribbon – Judge’s Recognition
100 APPLIQUÉD QUILT
200 SMALL PIECED QUILT
300 LARGE PIECED QUILT
400 MIXED TECHNIQUES/TRADITIONAL
500 MODERN QUILT
600 ART/INNOVATION QUILT
700 CHALLENGE QUILT
800 YOUNG QUILTMAKER
Please read these rules carefully and use them as a checklist before you submit your quilt.
- All persons involved in making the quilt must be listed on the entry form. If the design is not the entrant’s original design, credit must be given to the source.
- Quilts entered in the “Young Quiltmaker” category must be made only by the young quilter unless the quilter is 12 and younger. Whatever the adult helper contributes to the quilt should be documented on the entry form. There is no entry fee for this category and no prize monies are awarded (high school age or younger).
- Quilt must have been completed after January 1, 2013.
- Entrants must determine the category in which the quilt will be entered. Please read each category description carefully to determine where best to enter your quilt.
The entry form and the non-refundable entry fee ($15 per entry) must be postmarked by February 8, 2018 if being entered by US mail. Computer entries must be in by midnight February 12, 2018. Incomplete entry forms will not be accepted. Entries are accepted in order that they are received. IHQS is not a juried show, but we reserves the right to limit entries based on space constraints.
- All quilts must be clean, free of smoke, pet hair or odor, and constructed of fabric, have three layers and contain some quilting that can be seen from the back. No tied quilts will be displayed or judged. Incomplete, damaged, or soiled quilts may not qualify for display or judging. Quilts with false backs are not eligible for prizes unless there is some quilting showing on the back of the quilt. There is no refund if a quilt must be returned.
- Quilts previously displayed in an Indiana Heritage Quilt Show are not eligible for entry.
- All quilts must have a 4-inch opening on the hanging sleeve attached to the top of the quilt, and the top and bottom edges of the sleeve must be secured to the quilt back. If the quilt has no hanging sleeve, it will not be displayed and will be returned to the entrant.
- Each quilt must be permanently identified with a label on the back. Please cover this label with fabric attached either by basting stitch or quilters safety pins.
- Quilt must be a single unit, without frame of wood, metal, etc. IHQS reserves the right to refuse, and assumes no liability, for quilts that require special handling. All quilts will be folded during handling. Please avoid fragile embellishments.
- Quilts should not measure more than 108 inches on the hanging side. Please see category descriptions for specific measurement restrictions in some categories.
- Quilt delivery information will be sent via email. If you prefer to receive delivery of quilt information by mail, you must include a Self-Addressed, Stamped, Business-Sized (#10) Envelope (SASE)-one envelope per quilt entry.
- Detailed delivery instructions will be mailed or e-mailed after the Entry Form is received by IHQS. Please do not send your quilt until you have received this information. If you have not received your information by February 15, 2018 please email entries@ ihqs.org or phone 812-327-2731.
- Each quilt entry must be delivered in a separate box for the safe return of your quilt.
- Each quilt entry must have a photo of the quilt in the box.
- A certified appraisal for insurance purposes is required if quilt value exceeds $500.
- IHQS reserves the right to combine or subdivide categories based on the number of entries.
- Quilts that do not meet these rules will not be judged or exhibited. Entrants will be notified of disqualification as soon as possible.
- The Indiana Heritage Quilt Show reserves the right to reject any unqualified or misrepresented entry. All decisions of the IHQS board of directors and IHQS judges are final.
- Shipped quilts must arrive at the Bloomington Convention Center between February 19 and February 23, 2018.
APPLIQUED QUILTS: Appliqué predominates over other techniques in amount or effect covering approximately 75% of the quilt.
PIECED QUILTS-SMALL: Piecing predominates over other techniques in amount or effect. Total measurement in inches of all the outside edges (perimeter) should measure less than 250 inches with no more than 108 inches on the hanging side.
PIECED QUILTS-LARGE: Piecing predominates over other techniques in amount or effect. Total measurement in inches of all the outside edges (perimeter) should measure 250 inches or more with no more than 108 inches on the hanging side.
MIXED TECHNIQUES/TRADITIONAL: Entries with two or more traditional techniques/styles are combined and where any technique comprises 25% or more of the quilt. Examples would be: Pieced/applique; applique, reverse applique, embroidery and piecing.
MODERN QUILTS: Quilts should feature high contrasting colors, minimalism, improvisational piecing, expansive negative space, and non-traditional layouts.
ART / INNOVATION QUILTS: Quilts must be an original design—no commercial patterns or copies of previous works or adaptations of someone else’s design. The quilt design should reflect innovative construction, design techniques, theme, subject matter and/or materials.
CHALLENGE QUILTS-POLKA DOTS: We love polka dot fabrics! Entries must be constructed with a minimum of half the the overall design incorporating dotted fabric(s). Dots can be evenly spaced or not, large, small, or a mix of both, but we want to see dots...lots of them! Entries can be pieced, appliquéd, or created using a combination of techniques. Quilts can also include fabric art and embellishments. Please note the size limits! The perimeter (total measurement of all sides added together) should measure 200 inches or less, with no side longer than 50 inches.
YOUNG QUILTMAKERS: Entrants must be high school age or younger and have made the quilt themselves. Adults may assist with entrants 12 and younger with documentation on the entry form.
VIEWER’S CHOICE: Viewer’s Choice is determined by the show’s attendees’ votes.
MAYOR’S CHOICE: The Mayor of Bloomington, Indiana, determines the winner of this award.
COMMISSIONER’S CHOICE: The Commissioner of Monroe County, Indiana, determines the winner of this award.
JUDGE’S RECOGNITION: Each judge selects one quilt for recognition.
HOOSIER AWARD: The Hoosier Award will carry a $100 cash prize, and be awarded to a quilt made and entered by a resident of Indiana.
EXEMPLARY HAND WORK: Includes any hand work on the quilt such as hand piecing, hand quilting, applique work, and surface design.
EXEMPLARY EDGE FINISH
EXEMPLARY USE OF COLOR