Thank you for your great response! Entries for 2017 are now CLOSED.
2017 Entry Information
|February 17, 2017||ENTRY DEADLINE. Entries CANNOT be postmarked after this date.|
|February 18, 2017||Shipping information packets received by entrants. If you have not received your packet by this date, e-mail email@example.com or phone 812-327-2731.|
|February 20–24, 2017||Shipped Quilts. Shipped quilts must arrive at the Bloomington Convention Center between these dates.|
|February 25, 2017||Final Date —All shipped quilts must arrive at Bloomington Convention Center.|
|February 25, 2017||All hand-delivered quilts must arrive at Bloomington Convention Center between 10:00 a.m. and noon.|
|March 4, 2017||Walk-in pickup of quilts at show site. Quilts available 7:00–8:00 p.m.only. NO EARLY RELEASE OF QUILTS.|
|March 6, 2017||All shipped quilts delivered to FedEx Center.|
100 APPLIQUÉD QUILT
200 SMALL PIECED QUILT
300 LARGE PIECED QUILT
400 QUILT AMONG FRIENDS
500 MODERN QUILT
600 ART/INNOVATION QUILT
700 CHALLENGE QUILT
800 YOUNG QUILTMAKER
Prizes and Awards
|$2,000 – Best of Show
$1,000 – Exemplary Hand Quilting
$1,000 – Exemplary Machine Quilting
$500 – 1st Place in Each Category
$200 – 2nd Place in Each Category
$100 – 3rd Place in Each Category
|$100 – Viewer’s Choice
$100 – Mayor’s Choice
$100 – Commissioner’s Choice
$100 – Hoosier Award
Ribbon – Youth Quilter
Ribbon – Honorable Mention
Ribbon – Judge’s Recognition
2017 Quilt Entry Instructions
Entry Rules—Please read carefully and use this list as a check off before entering your quilt.
- All persons involved in making the quilt must be listed on the entry form. If the design is not the entrant’s original design, credit must be given to the source.
- Quilts entered in the “Young Quiltmaker” category must be made only by the young quilter. There is no entry fee for this category and no prize monies are given out (high school age or younger).
- Quilt must have been completed after January 1, 2012.
- Entrants determine the category in which the quilt will be entered. Please read the category description carefully to determine where best to enter your quilt, based on the description. The entry form and nonrefundable entry fee ($14 per entry) must be postmarked by February 17, 2017. Incomplete entry forms will not be accepted. Entries are accepted in order of postmark date. IHQS is not a juried show, but reserves the right to limit entries based on space constraints.
- All quilts must be clean, free of smoke, pet hair or odor, and constructed of fabric, have three layers and contain quilting, and there must be no false backs. No tied quilts will be displayed or judged. Incomplete, damaged, or soiled quilts may not qualify for display or judging.
- Quilt must not have been displayed in a previous Indiana Heritage Quilt Show.
- All quilts must have a 4-inch opening on the hanging sleeve attached to the top of the quilt, and all edges of the sleeve must be secured to the quilt back. If the quilt has no hanging sleeve, it will not be displayed and will be returned to the entrant.
- Each quilt must be permanently identified on the back. Please cover this label with muslin attached either by basting stitch or quilters safety pins.
- Quilt must be a single unit, without frame of wood, metal, etc. IHQS reserves the right to refuse, and assumes no liability for quilts that require special handling. All quilts will be folded. Please avoid fragile embellishments.
- Quilt may not measure more than 108 inches on the hanging side. Please see category descriptions for specific category measurement restrictions.
- Quilt delivery information will be sent via email. If you prefer to receive delivery of quilt information by mail, you must include a Self-Addressed, Stamped, Business-Sized (#10) Envelope (SASE)-one envelope per quilt entry.
- Detailed delivery instructions will be mailed or e-mailed after the Entry Form is received by IHQS. Please do not send your quilt until you have received this information. If you have not received your information by February 18, 2017 please email entries @ ihqs.org or phone 812-327-2731.
- Each quilt entry must be delivered in a separate box.
- Each quilt entry must have a photo of the quilt when delivered.
- A certified appraisal for insurance purposes is required if materials value exceeds $500.
- IHQS reserves the right to combine or subdivide categories based on the number of entries.
- Quilts that do not meet these rules will not be judged or exhibited. Entrants will be notified of disqualification as soon as possible.
- The Indiana Heritage Quilt Show reserves the right to reject any unqualified or misrepresented entry. All decisions of the IHQS board of directors and IHQS judges are final.
- Shipped quilts must arrive at the Bloomington Convention Center between February 20 and February 25, 2017.
| APPLIQUED QUILTS: Appliqué predominates over other techniques in amount or effect.
PIECED QUILTS-SMALL: Piecing predominates over other techniques in amount or effect. Total measurement in inches of all the outside edges (perimeter) should measure less than 240 inches with no more than 108 inches on the hanging side.
PIECED QUILTS-LARGE: Piecing predominates over other techniques in amount or effect. Total measurement in inches of all the outside edges (perimeter) should measure 240 inches or more with no more than 108 inches on the hanging side.
QUILTS AMONG FRIENDS: Suitable for guild quilts, round robins, group quilts and charitable quilts, all with more than three persons participating in the making of the quilt.
MODERN QUILTS: Quilts should feature high contrasting colors, minimalism, improvisational piecing, expansive negative space, and non-traditional layouts.
ART / INNOVATION QUILTS: Quilts must be an original design—no commercial patterns or copies of previous works or adaptations of someone else’s design. The quilt design should reflect innovative construction, design techniques, theme, subject matter and/or materials.
|CHALLENGE QUILTS-THREE COLORS: Entries must be made of only three colors. There can be a variety of shades of the same color. Prints used for the three colors must “read” as one of the three chosen colors and be predominantly one of the colors. The style is open from traditional to modern and may be pieced, appliquéd, or a combination and may include fabric art and embellishments. The perimeter (total measurement of all sides) should measure 200 inches or less with no side longer than 50 inches.
YOUNG QUILTMAKERS: Entrants must be high school age or younger and have made the quilt themselves.SPECIAL AWARDS:
VIEWER’S CHOICE: Viewer’s Choice is determined by the show’s attendees’ votes.
MAYOR’S CHOICE: The Mayor of Bloomington, Indiana, determines the winner of this award.
COMMISSIONER’S CHOICE: The Commissioner of Monroe County, Indiana, determines the winner of this award.
JUDGE’S RECOGNITION: Each judge selects one quilt for recognition.
HOOSIER AWARD: IHQS is adding a new award beginning in 2017. The Hoosier Award will carry a $100 cash prize, and be awarded to a quilt made and entered by a resident of Indiana.